The clock has started ticking. In eight short months Operation Walk Virginia will be in Bolivia helping to improve the lives of those who would not be able to afford this life changing procedures.
Fund Raising has begun. The team has set a goal of $150,000.00. Take a look at what you were able to raise last year and see if you can beat it by 10%. Start by setting up your First Giving page.
Fun Facts about Bolivia:
1. There are about 10 million people that live in Bolivia and it’s in the middle of South America, landlocked, with borders of Brazil in the north and east, Paraguay in the southeast, Argentina in the south, Chile in the southwest, and Peru in the northwest.
2. The name Bolivia comes from a leader in the Spanish American wars of independence, Simon Bolivar, becoming official in 1825.
3. La Paz is the highest capital city (11,910 ft) in the world. The official capital is in Sucre but the working capital of government is La Paz.
4. Bolivia has over 30 official languages and 36 native cultures. The main language spoken is Spanish, Quechua and Aymara.
5. Nearly 78% of the population is Roman Catholic. The youth are not as dedicated to religion as their parents, they are more secular.
6. Bolivia has the world’s largest butterfly sanctuary.
7. The most dangerous road in the world is in Bolivia—“The Road of Death”, Only about 30% of all roads in Bolivia are paved (mostly in the city).
8. In the Andes Mountains, many live at over 10,000 feet in the air (as high as some planes fly). Clouds go through their living rooms.
9. Bolivia is thought to be the origin of many types of foods including varieties of peppers, chili peppers, the peanut, the common bean, the yucca, and hosts more than 4,000 species of potato.
10. There are almost 1 million people that travel to Bolivia every year, one of the attractions is salt desert, the Salar de Uyuni, the largest salt deposit concentration worldwide.